Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Clothes Make the Fitness

I have less than a month before my first four-mile race and I've slacked all week long on running. That said, staying and feeling fit has never left my mind. I replaced my usual 3-4 runs/week with 3 kick-ass walks with my sister while she was here visiting. We walked at least ten miles in three days. Tonight, it's back to running.

I took a brief hiatus from the pavement last week due to a growing pain in my left foot/lower calf. I've been stretching it and flexing it and it feels better. I suspect the pain comes from a variety of things: 1) my inherent flat-footedness (most know that I walk like Godzilla most of the time anyway) 2) a poor choice in sandal (they were on sale) and 3) not paying attention to my gait during my last few runs. With the hiatus though, I realized that perhaps I may need a new shoe to better suit my monster feet. My left foot, for example, seems to hit the ground naturally with a full-on BOOM rather than a soft heal-toe motion. But I digress...

On Monday, I went to Dick's Sporting Goods to find a new pair of running shoes to replace my 8 month old Asics. I've liked Asics for some time now because their roomy and comfy for a flat foot. (same idea with Adidas and New Balance) Upon entering the sporting goods store, and this was not the first time, it hit me:

The second scariest part of learning to run?

Trying to find the gear and to be COOL about it.

I walked in, looked around, and immediately felt panicky. This hasn't happened before, but this time, I had a bum foot to worry about and the knowledge of a five year-old on the playground when it comes to actual, legit running stuff. I walked back to the shoe department, eyeballing running clothes and gear thinking "I don't even know what fits or what works. Dammit. How can I FAKE IT?"
(enter the adolescent mentality)

The salesperson I worked with was super friendly. She noticed me gazing blankly at the wall of shoes trying not to look like I was reading all the fine print on each brand. I paced a little too, I think. Needless to say, I was probably a little overzealous when she asked if I wanted help.

YES!!!

First, I tried on another Asic in an 8 and not an 8 1/2. It felt a bit more snug, but immediately more stable than my other shoe. I tried on an expensive Asic and a not-so-expensive Asic. I was saddened to learn that of the two, the one that felt best was PINK. Now, I'm not anti-pink, but my last two pairs of running shoes have been pink. Enough with the pink.
Unfortunately, the super fancy Asics, the Gel Nimbus 13 running shoe, wasn't comfortable enough to justify the price.

So? I tried a New Balance. It didn't work out.

I asked the salesperson, did she know anything about other brands? Did she know of any other manufacturer that catered to flat, unstable feet?
She said Brooks.

I walked away with a new pair of Brooks' Ghost 4 running sneaks. They were super comfy and super fun to hop around in and walk around in. Tonight - we ride.
I'll let you know how it works out.
Nearly an hour later, I had my sneaks.

But what about gear? Outerwear?
I was stumped. I clumsily looped around the apparel area of the store. I had rookie stamped on my head as I was immediately drawn to other shoppers who bee-lining for items they "always wear."

I confess. I grabbed new socks. (I know socks.) And a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I've been timid to try them on. I know, lame right? That happens tonight too.
I kept the receipt.
I'm telling you, walking around a store where other shoppers are geared out in spandex and looking all sorts of Sarah Jessica Parker in a Barney's boutique, well it's freaking terrifying.

I don't care if I sound like a child here, but tell me you haven't had this happen to you? Or is there some special fitness gene that some people get and others don't? I have 23 days before my race and I am still working on what I'm going to wear. Should it be tight-fitting? Loose-fitting? Aerodynamic? (Yes please!) What is the best brand?
Frankly, I don't even know why someone would wear knee-length socks either! (Have you seen these?)

I left the store in standard form: bright neon green shoes, black shorts, a green T, and standard issue sports socks.
I feel like a kid prepping for the first day of school.

Think the others can tell a rookie just by what he/she wears on race day?
It's not that I care, I'm just asking. What I'm ultimately worried about is my gear slowing me down! That new Tshirt? Better not catch the wind wrong. The shoes? Better not hurt.
The shorts? I don't want them riding up!

How does one even begin to know what to do the first time they enter the store?
Call for help?

At the end of the day, I felt awesome about my purchases and look forward to putting them to use, despite erring on the safe side. Spandex? Ahem, NO.
Report to follow.




No comments:

Post a Comment